Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Adventures of a First Year Elementary Principal

Welcome to my blog.  Please join me on my adventures as a first year principal in an elementary school.  I have been an educator for 22 years, but this is my first stint with the little ones.  Most of my career has been spent with middle school kids.  I wanted to preserve my first year in the building and thought it would be fun to share it with others.  I chose the title (You Can't Make this Stuff Up), because in the field of education no two days are ever the same and truth is also stranger than fiction.  No Hollywood movie producer or novelist could come up with some of the wacky things educators deal with on a regular basis. Here are some of the highlights from the first two weeks of school:
- the great east coast earthquake of 2011 hit during our Kindergarten orientation.
-Hurricane Irene threatened to delay the start of school.
-I spent most of the first week helping with crying Kindergartners
-I had a little boy put loose asphalt in his mouth.
- I had two little Kindergarten girls get into trouble for refusing to do their work.
- The play ground started to come apart from the rain getting underneath it.
- There is a major leak in the office from all of the rain.
-There were reports of a coyote on the loose on the first day of school.

Those are just a few of the highlights, I will elaborate on them more when I have time.  I am looking forward to you sharing your fun or not so fun experiences with me.  This is a great chance to share with people who know you aren't crazy,  because you just can't make this stuff up!

No comments:

Post a Comment